11.22.2003

How much happiness you have seems to directly correlate with how much you will allow yourself.

I've moved and lived in so many different places in my life that it would take me 15 minutes to count up all the different places I've called home.

Stability was never destined for me. My father has been moving his entire life as well. Every couple years, less as he gets older I suppose.

The tendencies of the father always visit the children.

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. In reality, you can predict the downward trajectory of the apple based upon weather conditions, weight of the apple, gravity. You can predict the bounce and roll based on ground characteristics, whether or not it's frozen, etc. The apple doesn't really fall, as if it's something out of control. It follows a predictable chain of events. The final outcome, the apple's resting point on the ground, is predetermined.

So it really shouldn't be surprising that I'm a fuckin' vagabond. I'm just replicating the conditions with which I was raised and are most natural to my genetic composition.

Nor should it be surprising that I harbor unfulfilled artistic pretensions--my father graduated art school, then promptly found employment managing a factory.

You are the composite of your parents genes. There's some elbow room, but your ability to take advantage of it, or even to realize the opportunity (if one even exists) is dependent on mostly-inherited genetic traits (being a go-getter for instance), and therefore basically outside the realm of direct control.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home